Thursday, February 15, 2007

The $1 Coin Replacing the $1 Bill?

There's an article in today's CNNMoney.com about the unveiling of the Presidential Dollar Coin and it talks about how the government is considering replacing the dollar bill with the dollar coin. The article says that consumers are not as welcoming of the coin as the government would like them to be. Apparently the govt could save $500 million annually by switching to the coin -- not a bad deal!

Anyway so I was thinking -- it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to replace the bill except for when we go out!

I mean what will happen when we're at the bar and we want to tip a $1? Will we have to carry change in our pockets? Will they make coin holder additions to money clips? B/c admit it -- no one carries change when they go out. And here's another thought -- will the $1 coin become the new quarter? In which case, I think that washers and driers should begin to accept $1 coins -- there's nothing worse than carrying $20 in quarters -- except for maybe $20 in dimes or nickels but no one uses those anymore, or pennies (and this opens a whole different discussion, which I won't go into b/c it will be entirely too long!)

Anyway ... just a thought!

3 comments:

marissa said...

when I lived in london, I HATED carrying pounds as coins. so heavy. if I remember correctly, they tried introducing dollar coins in the 70s - the susan b. anthony dollar. you dont see many of those in circulation anymore.

jzyo said...

I can remember at least two different dollar coins. Like the $2 bill these are more for collectors than anything else.

Elena said...

But they're talking about replacing the $1 bill! I'm more sad for the bill than I am happy for the coin ...